Prevent diabetes, wick away fluids, and help lose weight – grapefruit can do it all. Recent research suggests that this fruit can be used against diabetes. It may even help reduce the side effects of certain cancer medications.
Grapefruit: a very healthy fruit
In addition to preventing diabetes, grapefruit has numerous other benefits in the form of nutrients and vitamins. About 90% of grapefruit consists of water, making us feel satiated.
- Grapefruit has a positive effect on insulin levels. This is because it contains fewer calories than other citrus fruits.
- In addition to plenty of water, grapefruit is also packed with vitamin C, folic acid, antioxidants, and minerals such as potassium and magnesium.
- Moreover, grapefruit offers all kinds of benefits to our bodies. For example, it contains both citric acid, tartaric acid, and malic acid.
Does grapefruit help lose weight?
To achieve maximum weight loss with grapefruit, it must be part of a diet. This should always be followed under the supervision of a medical professional. This diet should be balanced, versatile, and tailored to the individual. Grapefruits have a diuretic effect but do not burn fat by themselves. So even if grapefruits are a part of the diet, a lack of exercise and other weight loss activities will prevent you from losing weight.
How can you prevent diabetes?
The Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Israel) and the Massachusetts General Hospital (United States) teamed up to study grapefruits. They found an increased antioxidant sensitivity to insulin. More specifically, it is the substance related to the bitter taste of grapefruit.
- The positive effect comes from a substance called naringenin. This is also found in other citrus fruits.
- This substance can activate a group of enzymes that support the liver to break down fatty acids.
- This is why eating grapefruit is very beneficial for diabetics.
The study analyzed multiple actions on blood glucose levels. The study focused mainly on people who suffered from type 2 diabetes. The juice could be as effective as metformin. This is the most commonly used medication to control blood sugar levels.
The properties of grapefruit
- These fruits are particularly rich in vitamin C, bioflavonoids and beta-carotene. These are substances that can help prevent certain types of cancer.
- The juice of grapefruit contains vitamins of the B complex.
- It can help prevent cardiovascular disease.
- This fruit can improve blood circulation. It also improves the resistance of the blood vessels and strengthens the vein walls. Therefore, it can be used against varicose veins.
- The fibers promote digestion. In addition, this fruit is good for the urinary tract.
- It helps to lower bad cholesterol. In addition, it helps against high blood pressure and to prevent allergies and asthma.
- This fruit is ideal not only for diabetics but also for people suffering from hyperglycemia.
Diabetes and prediabetes
Like many other diseases, type 2 diabetes is more manageable before it progresses. The main causes of type 2 diabetes are hereditary factors and obesity. In addition, it is more common in people older than 45. When someone is diagnosed with pre-diabetes or preliminary stage of diabetes then it is time to change his or her lifestyle.
This can still prevent the disease from actually developing into type 2 diabetes. Prediabetes occurs when sugar levels in the blood are higher than normal. But without reaching the values that indicate type 2 diabetes. In other words, they are slightly elevated. Here are some tips for preventing type 2 diabetes.
When does this occur? Usually in people with fasting glucose levels between 6.1 and 7.0 mmol/l. In prediabetes, the veins and heart may already be affected. However, it is still possible at this stage to prevent the development of type 2 diabetes. Therefore, it is crucial to detoxify the body.
In addition, we should try to lose weight and adopt a more active lifestyle. In addition, a healthy diet is necessary. In doing so, we can therefore make use of the beneficial effect of naringenin in grapefruits. After all, this substance has an impact on how our bodies break down medication. Did you know that in some cases you can prevent diabetes by changing a few things in your life?